A good post appears today on the American Express Open Forum site profiling LexBlog founder Kevin O’Keefe, who was a practicing trial lawyer in Wisconsin before he caught the Internet bug with his first start-up, Prairielaw.com.
Kevin founded LexBlog in 2003, and it is now the world’s largest blog network for lawyers and all things law – like this blog.
Quoting from the post, here are Kevin’s six tips for social media success:
1. Chiefs over Indians. O’Keefe advised companies to avoid assigning junior people to be the company online voice. “The top management needs to be involved. How else do you build relationships? How else do you demonstrate thought leadership?” he asks.
2. Blog strategically. Don’t just shovel up content. Provide information and ideas that will engage clients and prospects. Respond or anticipate to their questions or concerns. Also pay close attention to influencers, top clients, media and, top bloggers. Find ways to engage them with your social media activity.
3. Be yourself. O’Keefe warns lawyers, “ don’t hide behind your law firm brand.” People are looking for authenticity. “You’ll shine like a star when people see you acting like an everyday person.”
4. Listen first. O’Keefe—as do most experts—see far greater power in listening to relevant voices on social media than broadcasting messages. “You wouldn’t shout out content through a bullhorn at a cocktail event. Don’t do it online, either.”
5. Be curious. Lawyers are trained not to ask questions in court that they don’t know the answers to. This doesn’t work online where it is smartest to ask questions and enjoy a forgiving environment for making a few mistakes now and then.
6. Ask for the work. Lawyers online sometimes seem shy when asking people for the business they hope to get. O’Keefe advises professionals to “ask for the type of work they want to do from the type of clients they want to work with.”
Good stuff from a very smart lawyer.
Becoming a Rainmaker: Business Building Strategies for Lawyers
Based on Stephen’s highly successful seminar series by the same name, this 3-audio CD program covers dozens of practical recommendations and step-by-step sales and marketing techniques for solo practitioners and small law firms.
More than 7,000 attorneys from law firms all over the country have experienced powerful results from attending the Becoming A Rainmaker seminar. It has been sponsored by more than 22 of the largest state and local bar associations.
In this information-packed audio program, you will discover:
- How to generate more leads by using education-based marketing
- The relationship between credibility, visibility, tangibility, and consistency
- How to position your small firm as an industry leader
- The importance of being perceived as a specialist
- Why most advertising is a waste of your money
- What to expect from a Yellow Pages ad
- The 3 marketing strategies that will produce 80% of your results
- How to influence the Know, Like and Trust factors
- Common marketing mistakes lawyers make and how to avoid them
- How to answer the question, "Why should I buy from you?"
- Specific ways you can set yourself apart from low-cost lawyers
- What to do with the 15% of the population that always buys on price
- Ways to attract your Ideal Target Market
- The 6 stage sales process you must follow for maximum success
To order yours now, click here.