It is not enough to have a rough plan and some good intentions about legal marketing. Like any other discipline, it requires good planning, proper staffing, execution and determination to be as effective as possible. Here are nine tips to help you with your planning:
1. Create a written 12 month marketing plan for the law firm. Put down in writing all of the goals and steps necessary to achieve those goals.
2. Develop processes and procedures to capture major marketing metrics and data. You have to know the “lay of the land” if you are to be effective.
3. Identify major lead sources and create tracking mechanisms to measure results. Know where your referrals and leads come from and chart the volume of those leads and referrals.
4. Develop reports for tracking effectiveness of marketing efforts. You have to know what is working and what is not. Don’t waste time and money on techniques that are not effective for you.
5. Create metrics for quantifying ROI of all major marketing initiatives. If technique A has a ROI of 10 and Technique B has a ROI of 5, which one should receive the bulk of your attention?
6. Develop an online marketing system to generate leads and prospects from the internet. Use your website, blog, news releases and YouTube videos to drive traffic to your firm.
7. Build a system to develop relationships with potential referral sources and generate consistent referrals from them. Take people to lunch. Meet face-to-face and ask how you can help them with their business.
8. Create a system for connecting with prospects, clients and referral sources on a regular, consistent basis.
9. Train your staff on how to use the systems you have put in place. The best plans in the world are useless if they are not implemented.
Following these guidelines will help you design a legal marketing system that will generate leads and referrals, allow you to convert those leads into clients, who will then generate more leads and referrals.