As we look toward 2013, here are some strategies to keep in mind that will help you build a better law firm in the new year:
Speed to Market Wins Almost Every Time. Is it more important to have a solid strategy or to execute an imperfect plan? My response may surprise you. Attorneys are notorious for over-planning everything. This becomes a fatal mistake when it comes to marketing. Your marketing plan should only be focused on what actions you are going to take in the next 90 days. You should be able to easily write it down on one page. Keep it simple and focus on consistently taking action!
Be a Contrarian. Many of our best Rainmaker marketing strategies are based on contrarian thinking. I often tell my clients to look at what their competitors are doing and do the opposite! Not because their competitors are dumb or intentionally doing it "wrong," but because following the herd is the single most common action taken by attorneys in their marketing, especially on the internet. Don't follow the crowd with your marketing; instead, do the opposite.
Eliminate Every Obstacle to Marketing Your Law Firm. What is blocking you from achieving the financial success you deserve? A bad partnership? A partner or associate or key team member who is distracted and depressed? No passion for your clientele? Lack of automated systems to run your marketing? No system for following up with leads and prospects?
Now is the time to get rid of the dead weight! It's easy to overlook faults when times are good, but they can kill you when times are tough. When you identify a weak link, remove it!
While you're at it, make every attorney and staff member commit to returning every single phone call and email within 24 hours. I'm convinced benign neglect of prospects, clients and referral sources is a major reason why many attorneys are struggling in their business.
NEW On-Demand Webinar: Business Development Strategies for Litigators
Business development is especially difficult for litigators, who often work for months on a case and bring it to a successful conclusion, only to find they have a gaping hole of billable time to fill!
Are you or your litigators building the referral network you need to bring in litigation business?
In this new on-demand webinar, nationally recognized business development expert Stephen Fairley and featured guest Larry Bodine, editor-in-chief of Lawyers.com, help you develop a practical plan to grow your litigation practice. Learn:
- Which strategies you need to put into place in order to obtain repeat business from former clients
- How to build a referral network to build your practice-even while you are prepping for a trial
- How to get more referrals from mega-firms who are conflicted out of a case
- How to identify small firm transactional lawyers who can send you litigation referrals
- How to focus on the “hottest” areas of practice, as identified by market research
- Methods our clients use to attract larger clients with bigger cases
- How to ethically promote your “big wins” to the media and via the Internet
- How to apply one of the most effective marketing techniques for litigators
- How to position yourself as an industry expert that attracts highly profitable clients
To get this on-demand webinar, simply click here to access the recording of Business Development Strategies for Litigation Attorneys webinar.