With over 200 million professional members, LinkedIn is a great way to stay on top of what is happening with the people in your networks, as well as a great source of professionals to grow your referral network.
Chances are, many of the professionals you already know are using LinkedIn.
Here’s how to use LinkedIn to build and expand your referral network:
1. Decide why you are using LinkedIn. Do you just want to connect with people you know? Are you building a referral network? Do you want to drive people to your website or blog?
2. Build out your profile. Take your purpose and craft your profile to reflect that purpose. The key is to compel the people you know and the people who are looking for someone like you to reach out and connect.
3. Connect with the people you know. Use LinkedIn’s built-in Add Connections tool to import your contact lists.
4. Get recommendations. Take advantage of LinkedIn’s built-in Recommendations feature to give and receive testimonials. Third party endorsements carry much more weight than your marketing message alone.
5. Learn the system inside and out. Pay special attention to the search engine next to the People tab. This feature allows you to search your extended network for all the resources you need to be successful. Also, search the Groups Directory. There are thousands of special interest groups inside LinkedIn where you can connect with thought leaders, experts, prospective clients and prospective referral sources.
6. Build your network out strategically. Each connection you make with someone you know grows your overall reach exponentially.
7. Leverage your networks. LinkedIn is a social network with a search engine. Connected individuals can see and search for the people in each other’s networks. You can use those connections for business development and for finding your ideal social target market.
NEW On-Demand Seminar: Business Development Strategies for Litigators
Business development is especially difficult for litigators, who often work for months on a case and bring it to a successful conclusion, only to find they have a gaping hole of billable time to fill!
Are you or your litigators building the referral network you need to bring in litigation business?
In this new on-demand seminar, nationally recognized business development expert Stephen Fairley and featured guest Larry Bodine, editor-in-chief of Lawyers.com, help you develop a practical plan to grow your litigation practice. Learn:
- Which strategies you need to put into place in order to obtain repeat business from former clients
- How to build a referral network to build your practice-even while you are prepping for a trial
- How to get more referrals from mega-firms who are conflicted out of a case
- How to identify small firm transactional lawyers who can send you litigation referrals
- How to focus on the “hottest” areas of practice, as identified by market research
- Methods our clients use to attract larger clients with bigger cases
- How to ethically promote your “big wins” to the media and via the Internet
- How to apply one of the most effective marketing techniques for litigators
- How to position yourself as an industry expert that attracts highly profitable clients
To get this on-demand seminar, simply click here to access the recording of Business Development Strategies for Litigation Attorneys seminar.