Here’s what I’ve found to be true: To love what you do, you need to derive your satisfaction from the satisfaction your clients get from your work. I don’t think I’ve ever met a lawyer that loves the mechanics of the law; most of the successful attorneys I know love what they are able to do with their legal knowledge and other talents to help their clients.
Sure, we all love the win. But the win is hollow unless it furthers a client’s goals, rights a wrong, reverses an injustice. It’s the human side of the law that attracts most lawyers to the work.
Conversely, what sours most attorneys on the law is having no control on the outcome – being a clog in the Big Law machine. And helping lawyers out of this rut is what I love most about my job.
Most attorneys want to work for themselves and their clients. Those are the attorneys we love to work with and help — the solos and small firms that need just a little boost in their marketing efforts to see real success.
If you are stuck in a job producing paperwork instead of solving problems for clients, there’s not much you can do except opt for some pro bono work where you can actually help someone.
If you want to get unstuck and love the law again, then learning how to create a lifestyle law firm may be just the thing for you.
In that case, I invite you to attend a Rainmaker Retreat, our two-day law firm marketing seminar that has helped more than 15,000 attorneys successfully market their practices through practical and effective legal marketing techniques.
Here are the dates for upcoming sessions:
- January 15-16, 2016 — Las Vegas, NV/Venetian Casino Resort
- February 10-11, 2016 — Miami, FL/Loews Miami Beach Hotel*
- March 18-19, 2016 — Dallas, TX/Renaissance Dallas Hotel
- May 13-14, 2016 — Atlanta, GA/The Ritz Carlton Buckhead
- June 10-11, 2016 — Boston, MA/Doubletree Suites Cambridge
*This special Wednesday-Thursday Rainmaker Retreat will directly follow the National Trial Lawyers Summit on Feb. 7-9, 2016 at the Loews Miami Beach Hotel.
Plan ahead and take advantage of the Early Bird pricing, where you can save 30% off the regular price.
If you’d like a preview of what we teach at each Rainmaker Retreat, join me for a free 60-minute webinar that will show you:
- 3 critical areas you must focus on to make this your best year ever!
- Why your law firm is not getting more referrals and how to change it fast
- How to find more clients you love to work with and who consistently pay you on time
- How to select the right marketing tools that will work for your practice and personality
- The most cost effective online and offline marketing strategies for your practice area
- The 5 critical components of a Marketing Action Plan (MAP)
This webinar is scheduled for January 19, January 27 and February 2. You will be able to choose the best date and time that works for you when you register for this free webinar.