No one wants to spend time writing for a law firm blog if no one is reading it. The very purpose of a blog is engagement, but waiting for that to happen organically won’t ensure success for your law firm blog.
To beef up your law firm blog audience, you need to take the proverbial bull by the horns and promote your blog posts to those who would benefit most from your words of wisdom. Here are 5 proven ways to do that:
1. Social media. Posting snippets and links to your blog posts on Facebook and LinkedIn are great ways to increase the number of people who see your posts. You can have individual attorneys go into their profiles and post snippets with a link back to your blog. On LinkedIn you can post this information into individual groups to drive a lot of traffic back to your blog.
2. Monthly newsletter. In your newsletter, include links to a few of your recent blog posts. At The Rainmaker Institute, we send out a fully custom newsletter at the beginning of each month to all our current and former clients as well as referral sources. A couple of weeks later, we send out a second newsletter with links to 3-4 of our top blog posts.
3. Press releases. If you have a really good topic or a major industry story/scoop, consider doing a press release about it. A press release can drive thousands of visitors to your blog in a matter of days.
4. Search Engine Optimization (SEO). SEO can assist your blog in ranking higher for relevant key terms. Most people start their online experience with a search engine like Google. Getting to the first page of Google for your firm’s relevant key terms (like “Irvine estate planning attorney” or “Boston trademark attorney”) can increase your traffic by thousands of visitors per month. Listing your blog URL on all major legal directories can be a great source of traffic as well.
5. Post on other major legal websites. Having your blog posts appear on Avvo, JDSupra.com or NatLawReview.com will drive traffic to your blog and increase your online profile.
One of the secret tools of Internet marketing for attorneys is the power of having a targeted blog. Inbound marketing firm Hubspot released a report based on a marketing benchmark study of 7,000 companies and found that when it comes to blogging:
Companies that blog 15+ times per month get five times more traffic than firms with no blog.
B2B companies that blog at least twice a month get 70% more leads from their websites than firms with no blog.
Companies that increase their blogging from 3-5 times per month to 5-8 times per month almost double their leads.
Here’s what you’ll discover when you read this report:
- 7 ways that blogging can help your law practice
- How to create your blog strategy
- 10 ways to build an audience for your blog
- 4 sources of information for writing blog posts
- And much more!