The average consumer attorney only converts 5-15 percent of their leads into paying clients (out of 100 leads they sign up 5-15 new clients). However, by using a systematic approach to lead conversion, you can increase your lead conversion rate to 25-35 percent.
Here are six steps to improving your lead conversion:
1. You must have a dedicated intake specialist.
No attorney or paralegal will go after a lead with the kind of persistence and dedication it takes to convert them. If you are not willing to hire a dedicated intake specialist and train them to go after leads like a pit bull, then you are wasting your money on generating leads.
2. There must be a sense of urgency when following up with the lead.
Research by velocify.com indicates conversion rates drop precipitously if you fail to follow up within five minutes after the lead comes in. The same study found your lead conversion rate drops by half if your first follow up attempt goes from five to 10 minutes!
3. Your intake specialist must call them a minimum of 7-10 times before giving up.
No, that is not a typo. If you want to convert leads, you will have to work harder than anyone else. There should be three calls made the first day: one within five minutes, a second call within about an hour and the third by the end of the day. Two more calls should be made the next day, then two more the day after that, then ideally one per day for the next two-three days.
4. You need to send them 3-5 emails in addition to the phone calls.
These emails should be educational in nature and subtly inform them of why they should call you and set up an appointment.
5. You must track every single lead.
How many of these leads turn into appointments? How many of your appointments show up? How many sign up at the initial consultation? How many sign up afterward? By tracking your leads, you can discover the disconnects in your intake process and fix them.
6. Use lead conversion software.
There are three components to a successful law firm: staff, software and systems. You need the right people running a lead conversion software (this is completely different from practice management software) and following a precise system of intake and lead conversion.
FREE Webinar June 17: How to Develop Your Law Firm Marketing Plan
Join me tomorrow at Noon ET/ 9 a.m. PT for a free 60-minute legal marketing webinar: Develop Your Law Firm Marketing Plan.
Creating a marketing plan for your law firm is the first step in building a foundation for a profitable future. During this complimentary webinar, learn:
- How to target market to get your ideal client
- Why your firm is not getting more referrals and how to change it
- How to select the right marketing tools that will work for your practice and personality
- Effective online and offline marketing strategies
- How to create a financial plan to fund your marketing budget
- The 5 critical components of a Marketing Action Plan (MAP)
- 4 ways to create a unique competitive advantage
- What is critical to have in place for today’s hyper-competitive online focused marketplace
Stephen Fairley will lead you through the step-by-step actions you should take throughout the course of the next 12 months to substantially increase your revenues.
You will also get a sneak preview of the 65 different marketing strategies taught at our 2-day legal marketing boot camp, the Rainmaker Retreat.
If tomorrow doesn’t work for you, there are several sessions of this free webinar scheduled; you can choose what works best for you from the drop-down menu when you click on the following link to register online for our FREE Develop Your Law Firm Marketing Plan online seminar.