Yet the fact remains that everyone is inundated with too many emails, making a marketer’s job that much harder to cut through the clutter. Here are 11 steps you should be taking with your email marketing to optimize your chances of having your email opened and acted upon:
- Have a targeted list. This is especially important if you have more than one practice area. Your list must be targeted so you can create content that speaks directly to the interests of your audience. You must also be sure your list is clean (using a service like Constant Contact is crucial to help you do this) and that recipients have opted in to receive your emails.
- Be real. Not just in your content, but with the email address you use as a “reply to.” Don’t use generics like “email@example.com”.
- Your subject line needs to kill. Spend time on your subject line to really entice that recipient to open your email.
- Set expectations. When someone signs up to receive your e-newsletter or other email, make sure you have an auto-response email programmed that tells them what they can expect and how often you’ll be emailing them.
- Grab attention with a good pre-header. We’ve all seen those pre-headers in e-newsletters that instruct us to open the email in a web browser if we can’t see it properly. That is a waste of valuable real estate! Instead, give the reader a compelling reason to keep reading.
- Include Calls-to-Action early. Every email communication needs a Call-To-Action that lets the reader know what you want them to do. Is it to sign up for a newsletter? Download a free report? Place this near the top of your email so they don’t have to scroll to get to it.
- Optimize for mobile. Almost 60% of emails are now opened on a mobile device, and that number is only going up. Be sure your email is optimized for mobile – again, using an email service like Constant Contact will do that for you.
- Make it personal. Use the recipient’s name in the subject line and greeting. A recent Aberdeen Group study showed that 75% of consumers prefer personalized emails and offers.
- Cede control. Allow your recipients to opt-out of your emails easily. It’s a waste to be marketing to someone who doesn’t want to do business with you.
- Analyze, monitor and test. The behavior of your email recipients will give you important insight into when and what content they prefer, so you can replicate your success.
- Share. Adding social share buttons to your email marketing communication not only makes it more likely that your messaging will be spread to a greater audience, research shows that emails with social sharing buttons enjoy a 115% higher click-through rate than those that do not.
INC Magazine has called Michael Gerber “The World’s #1 Small Business Guru,” and I recently interviewed him on how attorneys can take their firm to the next level of success.
As the author of a number of books on entrepreneurship, including the best selling Awakening the Entrepreneur Within and The E-Myth Revisited, Michael is arguably the most famous consultant for small companies. He coined the phrase “working on your business versus working in your business,” which has become the mantra for tens of thousands of business owners.
Michael has worked with over 70,000 small business owners over the last 40 years, teaching business owners who possess significant technical skills but few business skills how to transform their companies into world-class organizations.
The time I spent with Michael was transformative for my own business, and I know what he has to teach can transform yours as well. That is why we have created a new FREE audio interview that you can access at Breaking the 7 Figure Barrier: An Explosive Interview with Small Business Guru Michael Gerber.
In this exclusive interview, Michael discusses with me:
- How the E-Myth Principles apply to law firms
- The 4 stages of business and how to move from a job to a practice to a business to an enterprise
- How to compete in an aggressive marketplace like legal
- Why services don’t matter anymore and the power of differentiation
- How to build a law firm that works without you
- Why you must shift the conversations you have with prospects from money to value and how to do this
- Tips to creating a lifestyle law firm
Sign up now to get this free interview and we will send you a link to download the audio interview as well as a PDF transcript.