Attorneys struggle with making blogging a priority since they have so many other hats they wear and fires to put out over the course of a day. While most recognize the need to be on social media, they often “set it and forget it” – forgetting that blogging and social media is a beast that needs to be continually fed to deliver any benefit.
Even if you succumb to a heavy schedule and can do only one thing, it should be blogging. When done correctly, blogging can separate your firm from others that do the same thing in the same area for roughly the same price.
Some of the key benefits of blogging for attorneys include:
- A blog regularly adds fresh content to your firm’s website.
- A blog provides material that can be posted on social media sites including LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
- Sharing blog posts “socially” will increase your visibility, drive inbound links to your firm’s website, and lead to improved SEO results, meaning your law firm’s website will rank better in search engine results.
- A blog establishes you as a thought leader and expert in your field, as well as builds awareness about your practice and your firm, increasing client engagement and generating potential business leads.
- The more frequently you blog, the more assets you build and the more credibility and visibility you gain.
Before you jump head first into blogging, keep in mind that blog readers typically want quick, useful information containing the author’s unique insight and opinions. Blog posts should be fresh and interesting, and include a call-to-action that provides readers a next step or a reason to return.
As you develop your content, keep these four factors for creating a successful blog in mind: