The holidays provide an excellent opportunity for attorneys to rededicate themselves to cultivating referrals for the upcoming year. Interestingly, many attorneys fall short when it comes to cultivating referral sources as part of their law firm marketing efforts.
Below are five proven steps you can take in your law firm marketing and referral strategy to build a large referral base and to catalyze multiple, repeat referrals from each contact.
All are designed to keep your name and your reputation top of mind with your contacts and to reward and recognize them appropriately to encourage referrals short-term and long-term as part of your overall law firm marketing strategy.
- Get contacts thinking referral: Don’t assume your contacts are thinking about referrals for you. Let them know your practice relies on referrals and how much you would appreciate them passing your name along. Re-educate them on what type of people would make a good client for you.
- Immediate appreciation: When a contact does refer you, call or send a thank-you note the very same day.
- Reward: Within the next two days, send your referral source a small gift of appreciation like a Starbucks gift card.
- Recognition: Once you’ve successfully scheduled a meeting with the potential client, email your referral source to let them know you have scheduled that meeting and that you will update them again with the final outcome. Whether or not the referral becomes a client, do let your referral source know how much you appreciate their efforts.
- Stay top of mind: Even when your referral sources haven’t referred, stay top of mind. Send a note 1-2 times per year to your entire contact list thanking them for past and future referrals. Use the New Year as a reason to get back in touch with your referral sources to let them know you hope 2017 holds even better things for both of you.
Implement these five simple steps, and you will see a sharp increase in referrals while adding to the positive reputation you strive for in your law firm marketing efforts.
Join me on Wednesday, December 7 at 3 p.m. ET/Noon PT for a free Affinity Marketing webinar on the Top 10 Mistakes Lawyers Make That Kill Their Intake & Lead Conversion Rate…And How To Fix It Fast!
In this fast-paced workshop, attendees will discover:
- The mistakes law firms make when dealing with leads and how to avoid them
- Cutting-edge information about how to better track your leads
- Specific tools to convert more prospects into paying clients
- The 5 stages of lead conversion
- How to overcome pricing objections
By investing just an hour of your time — and none of your money — you will learn specific strategies that will help you increase your conversion rate and add thousands of dollars to your bottom line. These are strategies that you can implement immediately and reap the results.
Register online now for the free Affinity Marketing webinar — Top 10 Mistakes Lawyers Make That Kill Their Intake & Lead Conversion Rate…And How To Fix It Fast! — on Wednesday, Dec. 7 at 3 p.m. ET/Noon PT. I hope to see you there!