Take a look at this recent Google infographic on legal market trends:
If there is one thing that stands out about this research, it’s this: 72% of prospects contact attorneys via phone. This is why the most important Rainmaker in your law firm is the person who answers your phone!
That’s because people who have a problem large enough to require legal help want answers right away. They want to speak with someone who cares about their problem. They want a solution to make the problem go away.
Before making my presentation during a National Trial Lawyers Summit a couple of years ago, I had my staff call each of the 126 of the firms that would be attending the Summit. We created a fictitious legal problem and then recorded what the person answering the phone said to our callers. I shared these results during my talk:
- Only 40 of the 126 firms identified the name of the firm when we called. The rest answered, ”Law Office” or “Law Firm”.
- 70% did not ask our staff for any contact information
- 90 firms left our staff on hold for at least two minutes
- When our staff left their contact information for a call back, 52% of the firms never called back
- When our staff asked for the firm’s website address, 33% misspelled it
- When our staff asked why they should hire the firm, the responses were:
- 23% “We have a lot of experience”
- 21% “We care about our clients”
- 17% “I’m not sure”
Other interesting responses ranged from “I’m not at liberty to say” (intake person) to a partner who remarked, “I’m not going to say why we are different!”
We perform similar call campaigns to the offices of lawyers attending every one of our monthly Rainmaker Retreats, and I have to tell you, the results are not that different. Most of you do not have a proper lead conversion process in place that begins when someone calls and your staff is poorly trained to boot!
To be successful at turning leads into clients, law firms need to transition their intake personnel from order taker to Rainmaker. If you are running a law firm, you want people who are fully trained and deeply committed to taking prospects from potential client to paying client.
If you would like to learn more about implementing a proven process for converting prospects to clients, check out the Rainmaker Intake University. We’ll secret-shop your law firm for free and critique you on the 10 critical factors for creating an exceptional experience for callers so you stand apart from your competition.